PhD - Statistics Course Prerequisite
An upper-level statistics course must be completed within five (5) years of the application deadline.
Acceptable University of Iowa courses are as follows:
- STAT:3510 (22S:101) – Biostatistics
- STAT:4143 (22S:102) – Introduction to Statistical Methods
- PSQF:4143 (07P:143) – Introduction to Statistical Methods
- BIOS:4120 (171:160) – Introduction to Biostatistics
Equivalent courses from other colleges will be accepted as well. The course must be at least an undergraduate, upper-level (junior/senior) course and include, at a minimum, the following content:
- Descriptive statistics
- Sampling distributions and/or theory
- Study/experimental design
- Parametric and nonparametric methods
- Confidence intervals
- Linear correlation and simple linear regression
For statistics courses completed outside the University of Iowa, you will need to verify that the course meets our requirements. Refer to the course catalog or contact the registrar’s office of the college from which you took your statistics course. Please note that community college courses are considered undergraduate freshman/sophomore courses and do not meet the prerequisite requirements. Contact Mary Kosobucki at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.