BSN - Competitive Admission: Am I Ready?
Competitive Admission (available for study beginning in spring sessions only)
Students who enroll at the university as Nursing Interest students, or transfer students earn admission to the College of Nursing via the competitive admission process. These students must complete designated pre-requisites and apply for admission to the college after or while completing the final prerequisites for the nursing major. The College of Nursing will admit a cohort of 72 students who begin study in nursing each spring semester. The students will have five semesters to complete prerequisite courses. Students who graduate from high school and enroll at the university as Nursing Interest should anticipate a 4.5 year plan of study.
Application Deadline for Competitive Admission:
(*all transcripts must be received at the University of Iowa Office of Admissions by June 1)
Admission is competitive, thus, meeting the minimum requirements for admission does not guarantee admission.
- No high school deficiencies (including world language and physics)
- 4 years of High School English
- 1 year of Biology
- 1 year of Chemistry
- 1 year of Physics (Required to begin nursing coursework in 2012)
- 4 years of the same world language, or two years of a world language combined with two years of a different world language
- Minimum of Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry
- 3 years of Social Studies
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA;
- No lower than a “C” (2.0) in prerequisites and General Education requirements;
- Complete supplemental application by the deadline
- Successful completion of a minimum of 48 s.h. at time of application, and successful completion of a minimum of 64 s.h. at time of matriculation in the nursing major.