PhD - Admission Information
Application Deadline is February 1 to start the following fall
Persons may enter a program of study for the Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing with a bachelor's or master's degree in nursing.
General Admission Requirements
The following requirements must be fulfilled for admission to either the post master's PhD or BSN-PhD programs:
- Baccalaureate or advanced degree in nursing
- Current license to practice nursing (Special license for international students)
- GRE - not required
- A minimum of 3.0 grade point average
- Completion of prerequisite course by the start of the program
- An upper-level statistics course should be completed within five (5) years of the application deadline. Acceptable University of Iowa courses are as follows: STAT:3510 (22S:101), PSQF:4143 (07P:143), STAT:4143, and (22S:102), or BIOS:4120 (171:160). Equivalent courses from other colleges will be accepted as well. The course must be an undergraduate, upper-level (junior/senior) course. For courses outside the University of Iowa, please refer to the college’s catalog or registrar’s office to verify the course numbering scheme. Also note that community college courses are very good; however, they are considered undergraduate freshman/sophomore courses, and therefore, we will not be able accept them as a pre-req statistics course. If you have further questions, contact Jen Clougherty (email@example.com) or Renee Lepine (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Requirements Specifically for International Students
A minimum score of 550 paper-based, 213 computer-based or 81 iBT on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for students whose first language is not English.
The University of Iowa does accept the IELTS. We require an IELTS total score of 7.0, with no sub-score less than 6.0. All IELTS test takers will be held to the on-campus English Proficiency Evaluation.
The school code for submission is 6681.
PhD Application Requirements
Application to the Graduate College is a two-step process. The first step in the application process is to complete the Graduate College Application and pay the appropriate fee. As part of the second step, Graduate Admission will contact you by email and provide directions to upload the following items:
- Statement of Purpose
- Supplemental Information form
- Copy of RN license
- Contact information including email address for three recommenders. The recommenders will be sent an email and asked to complete this recommendations form
- Statement of Disclosure
You are also required to submit official transcripts for work done in all undergraduate and graduate schools to the Office of Admissions (current and former UI students do not need to provide UI transcripts).
All international students will be required to take the on campus English Proficiency Evaluation. If a student is found to need more than two courses in English as a Second Language, he/she will be required to enroll in, and successfully complete, the Iowa Intensive English Program. Concurrently with the Iowa Intensive English Program, the student will be allowed to register for one course within their doctoral program of study. More information related to the Iowa Intensive English Program is found at the following link: https://clas.uiowa.edu/esl/iiep.
International students are required to take the CGFNS examination.
The CGFNS examination is offered in 37 locations in 26 countries.
Write or call for information:
Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools
3600 Market Street
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-2651 USA