PhD - Admission Information
Application Deadline: January 15
General Admission Requirements
The following requirements must be fulfilled for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing program:
- One of the following credentials:
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing
- Associate’s degree in nursing with bachelor’s or advanced degree in any field
- Advanced degree in nursing
- Advanced degree in health-related field
- Current nursing license (nurses only)
- Minimum GPA from all academic work: 3.0
- Research interests aligned with the College of Nursing’s mission
- Completion of upper-level statistics prerequisite course within five years prior to application deadline (see nursing.uiowa.edu/admissions/phd/prerequisites)
GRE scores are NOT required.
English Proficiency Requirements for International Applicants
International applicants that do not meet the Graduate College requirements for a waiver are required to submit English proficiency scores prior to the January 15 application deadline. The minimum requirements are:
- TOEFL iBT: Total score of 81
- IELTS: Overall score of 7 with no subscore less than 6
Review the English Proficiency Requirements on the Graduate College website for additional information, including details on the English Proficiency Evaluation and instructions on how to submit your scores.
PhD Application Requirements
You will need to apply to the Graduate College as part of the process for admission to the College of Nursing PhD program. The first step is to complete the online application through the Graduate Admissions Nursing (PhD) webpage and pay the appropriate fee. As part of the second step, Graduate Admissions will contact you by email to provide instructions on uploading supporting documents and submitting letters of recommendation.
If you have questions, contact Mary Kosobucki (email@example.com) at the College of Nursing.