An upper-level statistics course must be completed within five (5) years of the application deadline.
Acceptable University of Iowa courses are as follows:
- STAT:3510 – Biostatistics
- STAT:4143 – Introduction to Statistical Methods
- PSQF:4143 – Introduction to Statistical Methods
- BIOS:4120 – Introduction to Biostatistics (recommended)
Equivalent courses from other colleges will be accepted as well. The course must be at least an undergraduate, upper-level (junior/senior) course and include, at a minimum, the following content:
- Descriptive statistics
- Sampling distributions and/or theory
- Study/experimental design
- Parametric and nonparametric methods
- Confidence intervals
- Linear correlation and simple linear regression
For statistics courses completed outside the University of Iowa, you will need to determine that the course meets our requirements, as noted above. We recommend that you refer to your statistics course syllabus or the course information in your college’s course catalog. You may also consider contacting the Office of the Registrar at the college from which you took your statistics course. Please note that community college courses are considered undergraduate freshman/sophomore courses and do not meet the prerequisite requirements. Please send an email to CON-PhDProgram@uiowa.edu if you have any questions.