What to Do If You've Been Sexually Assaulted

Call for help - You don't have to do it alone!
There are several agencies available to assist you. Rape is a medical emergency. Rape is a crime. Remember that what has happened is not your fault. You did not cause this assault.

Call the 24-hour Rape Crisis Line: 319-335-6000


Seek medical attention as soon as possible

Contact RVAP (Rape Victim Advocacy Program). They will provide an advocate to assist you throughout the entire experience of medical exam, reporting the sexual assault, counseling, contacting the legal system, etc.

Contact law enforcement as soon as possible to make a report and find out options available to you. Even though reporting is not mandatory, law enforcement can assist in protection and security, collection and preservation of evidence, and documentation of the assault for possible future criminal charges.

You play an active role in the decision-making process on how to move forward after a sexual assault. We want to address your questions and concerns. We want to assist you in recovering from this experience. You can contact any of the JCSART members listed in this website. For additional in-depth information go to the RVAP website: www.rvap.org.

    Emergency Treatment Centers:

    • University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics (on campus): 319-356-2233
    • Mercy Hospital Iowa City: 319-339-3600

    Local Law Enforcement/Police Departments:        

    • 24/7 dispatcher for all local agencies: 319-356-6800     
    • University of Iowa Police: 319-335-5022
    • Iowa City Police: 319-356-5275
    • Coralville Police: 319-248-1800
    • North Liberty Police: 319-626-5724
    • Johnson County Sheriff: 319-356-6020